Monday, April 14, 2014

Behold!

Recently, I was introduced to something big. Well, big for me, but still. It's made such an impact on me, it's changed the way I speak (which has resulted in social chastisement, which is deserved yet strangely worth it), created plenty of inside jokes, caused me to froth at the mouth in the healthiest of ways, and warranted me sharing it with you.

It is a text based game series, of which some secluded gamers may know of, called Thy Dungeonman. The whole game series takes stabs at other text based games; Strong Man, Zork, Hunt the Wumpus--just to name a few. The thing that caught my eye here, was the level of seriousness this game took itself with, which is to say, hardly any. There are moments where the game likes to make fun of the direction system (I.E, possible directions to go being: north, south, and Dennis), the speech style of the 'middle ages', comical responses to poorly typed commands, and best yet, references. These references are just from the first game; there were two others (Thy Dungeonman II, and Thy Dungeonman III: behold thy graphics!), that were just as fun as the first one, if not more, and were loaded with even more references. I mean, more references then you would ever see without a guide.
Get ye flask!
Yeah, these games seem a little dated, take very little time to beat, and are simple in design, but it's the little things in the game that make it really fun to play. It's also some of the dumb things that come out of the woodwork when you try typing in random commands. There is only one small problem with the game....

Music.

But that is easily remedied, now isn't it?

Enjoyest thou adventures, and get ye thine flask!





No comments:

Post a Comment