Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Ren faire fun

This weekend Tasha and I went off to the mystic lands of Kingston to check out the NH Ren Faire. We'd been there before, and had a grand old time of it when we were there before. This year was a little different, with the faire being more focused on the everyday tourist rather than the history buff (who is a regrettably endangered species), and there seemed to be an absurd number of pirates for a renaissance fair...Anyhow, there were plenty of entertaining people at the fair, from a wandering fool telling quick one liners and jokes that would make a child groan, to some very short knights on very tall horses enjoying a good tilt. I found the place to be as enjoyable as last, though not in the chats with the craftsmen and SCA members, but in the sights of common folk wandering around this little enclosure of pseudo medieval activity.

Seeing places like this make me smile, just knowing that they are around. I mean, none of the ones over in New England will be anything like Laurin tourney in Italy, but that goes without saying; I'm not sure if anyone seen there is even from this century. I love it though, just seeing all of the kits and garb (sigh of a poor man). It makes the things done around here look like a weak display, though it makes sense, seeing as the events of the middle ages had nothing to do with the nonexistent America. Still, looking at some of the armor kits these people have, and the fact that their matches are fought with open face helms and bare blades is really exciting. Just take a look at it, and you'll see what I mean.

Which reminds me...I have some bones to pick soon about Hollywood armor, and it's historic counterparts. There are plenty of good examples to argue over, but I have a few choice pieces to tear into soon. Stay tuned there.
Some good armor to rip apart...


~Andrew

1 comment: